Hot water for your home, from your home
Solar water heating systems use free heat from the sun to warm domestic hot water. A conventional boiler or immersion heater can be used to make the water hotter, or to provide hot water when solar energy is unavailable.
Oakes Energy can design and install solar thermal systems that will provide 3 main benefits:
- Hot water throughout the year: the system works all year round, though you’ll need to heat the water further with a boiler or immersion heater during the winter months
- Cut your bills: sunlight is free, so once you’ve paid for the initial installation your hot water costs will be reduced
- Cut your carbon footprint: solar hot water is a green, renewable heating system and can reduce your carbon dioxide emissions
Solar water heating systems can achieve savings on your energy bills. The results of recent independent field trials by the Energy Savings Trust, typical savings from a well-installed and properly used system are £60 per year when replacing gas heating and £85 per year when replacing electric immersion heating; however, savings will vary from user to user.
Typical carbon savings are around 230kgCO2/year when replacing gas and 500kgCO2/year when replacing electric immersion heating.
You may be able to receive payments for the heat you generate from a solar water heating system through the government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI), due for release in April 2014. You may also be able to get help with the installation costs of a new solar water heating system through the Renewable Heat Premium Payment (RHPP) scheme, which gives a grant of £600 towards the installation.
How do solar water heating systems work?
Solar water heating systems use solar panels, called collectors, fitted by Oakes Energy to your roof. These collect heat from the sun and use it to heat up water which is stored in a hot water cylinder. A boiler or immersion heater can be used as a back up to heat the water further to reach the temperature you want.
- Design and Specification
- Supply and Installation
- Maintenance and Servicing
- Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI)
- Renewable Heat Premium Payment (RHPP)
To discuss your requirements with one of our team, please contact us
Click here for more details about these bodies.